Immerse Your Students in a Virtual World
Introducing the Navigate Scenario series. With content aligned to our best-selling textbooks, these scenarios are designed to prepare your students for success in the real world of health care management and administration. In these virtual simulations, your students will take on the role of CEO, Marketing Consultant, Quality Improvement Director, Health Policy intern, and many others. Immersed in a photo-realistic world with a full cast of characters, they will be faced with challenging situations and tough decision making.
Health Care Delivery
The student assumes the role of a Health Care Operations consultant at a large Health Care system. In each episode, the student will progress through a series of different settings and character interactions that will teach them about key concepts in Health Care Delivery. The student will analyze information, make decisions, and see the impact of their participation in real time.
- Episode 1: The New System
- Episode 2: Financial Issues
- Episode 3: Customer Satisfaction
- Episode 4: Expansion
The student assumes various roles within the Health Care legislation process to develop and implement health care policy. In each episode, the student will progress through a series of different settings and character interactions that will teach them about key concepts in Health Policy.
- Episode 1: Policy Analysis and Development
- Episode 2: Going from Policy to Law
- Episode 3: Implementing Policy in the Health Care System
- Episode 4: Evaluation a Health Care Policy
Health Care Finance
The student assumes roles such as Chief Executive Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and Board Member, and applies their knowledge of health care finance to make decisions that directly impact hospitals and patients, such as whether to relocate a hospital facility and whether to propose a bond to finance a major hospital renovation.
- Episode 1: Critical Case for Billing & Code
- Episode 2: Rates Negotiation Crisis
- Episode 3: Firm Financial Position or Not?
- Episode 4: To Move or Not to Move
Health Care Marketing
Recently Bright Road Health Care System has experienced a downward trend in its number of patients. The student assumes the role of a health care marketing consultant to work with different areas of the Health Care System to make marketing recommendations in the areas of differentiation, positioning, customer retention, and market responsiveness.
- Episode 1: Staying Relevant
- Episode 2: Patient Engagement
- Episode 3: Patient Satisfaction
- Episode 4: How Are We Doing?
Health Care Law
The student assumes the role of a new Health Care Administrator within the Bright Road Health Care System, where they will review legal cases and assess the Health Care System’s legal risks and liabilities. Bright Road’s General Counsel will act as the student’s mentor, helping them navigate difficult legal concepts.
- Episode 1: Hospital Nightmare
- Episode 2: Medication Errors
- Episode 3: The Wrong Body Part
- Episode 4: Failure to Obtain Consent
Health Care Ethics
The student assumes various roles within the Health Care System, where they will be presented with ethical dilemmas and various opposing viewpoints. In some cases, the “right” decision can be subjective, and the student will need to use ethical decision-making skills to defend their choice.
- Episode 1: Equipment Purchase
- Episode 2: Stockpiling
- Episode 3: Labor and Delivery Services
- Episode 4: Confidentiality
Health Care Human Resources
The student assumes roles such as HIM department manager, HR assistant, and manager of the Blood Bank/Immunology unit. The student will apply their knowledge of HR to make decisions that directly impact hospital employees, such as how to address the threat of impending budget cuts, how to handle a potential discrimination issue, and how to develop a strategy to increase staff morale.
- Episode 1: Overview: More Help Needed—Now!
- Episode 2: Understanding Employee Rights
- Episode 3: The Silent Group
- Episode 4: The Repeat Offender
The student assumes the role of a newly promoted manager at a software company. In this new position, effectively handling office politics will play an important role in your success. In each episode, the student will progress through a series of different settings and character interactions that will teach them about key concepts in Organizational Behavior.
- Episode 1: Behavior Influences
- Episode 2: Group Development
- Episode 3: Teams and Team Building
- Episode 4: Leadership
- Provide an impactful learning experience that can be easily integrated to your existing curriculum and delivered online, on ground, or hybrid.
- Assess student engagement with new built-in assessment quizzes that report directly to the Navigate gradebook.
- Faculty and student support tools will ensure a seamless learning experience. A training portal containing a variety of resources will provide students and educators with additional guidance.
- For assistance with Access Codes, log-in issues, or using the Navigate Scenarios, visti our Technical Support.
- Access content easily around the clock, 24x7x365, and around the globe. Students can access sessions on their schedule, practice at their own speed, and reuse as many times as they need.
- Prepare for real-world challenges in the high demand healthcare field. Practice critical thinking and communication skills and apply classroom knowledge to industry specific situations.
- Gain the advantage with this first-of-its-kind learning environment that lets students play the role of decision-maker.
Yes. You can use Navigate Scenario by itself or with a competing text for $49.95.
The price is the cost of the ebook +$20 (for one scenario) and +$15 for each additional scenario. For a print book, the price is the cost of the book + $15 for the first scenario, and $10 for each additional scenario.
: For each Navigate Scenario product there are 4 different episodes or situations. Each episode has 8 scenes with different characters weighing in on the topic of that episode.
No, they are not.
The first step is to reach out to your account manager to get set up with a demo course access code/account. Once you’ve decided to use the product, you will receive an access code that you can redeem on the My Account page on the Jones & Bartlett Learning website.
Each episode in a scenario takes about 45 minutes (depending on the student) to complete. Therefore, the full product would take the typical student about 3 hours to complete.
Yes, it’s possible. Contact your account manager.
The scenarios are book agnostic, but relate to the content in the course. We can provide competency mappings of a scenario to your text if that is helpful.
No, student progress isn’t saved as they work through a scenario. However, the navigation bar (at the top right-hand corner) makes it easy for students to quickly jump to any scene in an episode at any time.
All assessments are assigned at the instructor’s discretion. Instructors can decide whether or not to assign them to their students.
Yes, the assessment quizzes are auto-graded and feed into the Navigate gradebook (set up by the instructor). A student can attempt these quizzes as many times as they wish, and their score will be overwritten each time. We do recommend saving a copy of their work as proof of completion.
: No. While written assignment instructions will often recommend a target word count range the scenarios do not limit the number of words a learner can enter in their response.
No, they are not. If a student wishes to work on a written assessment over multiple sessions, they can compose their answers on their local device, then add it to the text field in the episode.
You need to buy the full scenario with the 4 episodes that come with it. There is no mixing and matching. You can, however, buy multiple scenarios for a single book or course.
There are no fees to create a professor/faculty account at Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Yes, the technology has been upgraded and now uses HTML 5 (instead of Flash). Also, the Health Care Delivery product has been redone. It contains the same case scenarios, just updated.
There are 8 different Health Administration Topic Areas: Healthcare Delivery, Healthcare Ethics, Healthcare Finance, Healthcare Human Resources, Health Policy, Healthcare Marketing, Healthcare Law and Organizational Behavior.
Not yet. Contact us if you’d like to see additional products outside the 8 currently offered in Health Administration.
Not yet. However, were open to hearing about other areas you’d like to see these scenarios.
They are suitable for use at both the undergraduate and graduate level.
Yes. Each product comes with an Instructor’s Manual which includes a storyline summary, character list, episode overviews, learning outcomes addressed and answers to assessment quizzes.
Chrome is the recommended browser. Students can use other browsers, but should revert to Chrome if they encounter any difficulty.
Getting Started is easy
- Identify the area of your course that you would like to improve. Navigate Scenarios can be used to simplify a difficult topic area and increase student engagement.
- Choose the Navigate Scenarios that best suit your course needs.
- Contact your Account Manager for an in-depth demo. During the demo, you will learn how you and your students will interact with the Navigate Scenarios.
- Work with your Account Manager to order your Navigate Scenarios. Contact your Account Manager today.
- Insert the Navigate Scenarios into your current lesson plan as homework, an in-class activity, or an exercise to reinforce difficult conceptual topics.