Every new copy of In Quest of the Universe, Seventh Edition includes access to the Companion Website and Starry Night College Edition.
Available with Navigate In Quest of the Universe. Learn More!
Designed for the nonscience major, In Quest of the Universe, Seventh Edition provides a comprehensive, accessible introduction to astronomy, while taking students on an exciting trek through our solar system and beyond. Updated throughout with the latest findings in this fast-paced field, the author unfolds historical and contemporary theories in astronomy to provide a clear account of how the science works. His student-friendly writing style and clear explanations acquaint students with our own solar system before moving on to the stars and distant galaxies. New Comparative Planetology boxes and data table throughout the text examine the similarities and differences in the geology, evolution, and atmospheres of all the planets in our solar system. This rich pedagogy further engages students and motivates them to think critically and develop basic reasoning skills in their studies.
New and Key Features of the Seventh Edition:
- Update throughout with the latest discoveries in the field, with new and expanded content found in each chapter.
- Added critical thinking and problem solving exercises are included at the end of each chapter.
- New boxes and data tables throughout examine the similarities and differences in the geology, evolution, and atmospheres of all planets in our solar system.
- To increase understanding and clarity, sample calculations have been added to mathematical sections
- Instructor's materials include PowerPoint Lecture Slides, PowerPoint Image Bank, Test Bank, Instructor's Manual, animations, and more.
- The companion Web site, Starlinks, is included with every new copy of the text and includes study quizzes, Exploration Web links, animated flashcards, an online glossary, chapter outlines, a calendar of upcoming astronomical events, a guide to the constellations, and a new math review/tutor. Starry Night College Edition is also included on the companion site and includes a wealth of engaging exercises and simulations.
If you have purchased a used copy and the access code in your textbook has been redeemed, you may purchase the standalone download version of the software from Simulation Curriculum at go.jblearning.com/BuyStarryNight.
Navigate In Quest of the Universe- a comprehensive and interactive online course management solution with complete and interactive eBook. Learn more.
Navigate eFolio: In Quest of the Universe - standalone access to the dynamic and engaging eBook with enhanced activities™. Learn more.
The ideal introductory astronomy text for the non-science major.
Chapter 1 The Quest Ahead
Chapter 2 From an Earth-Centered to a Sun-Centered System
Chapter 3 Gravity and the Rise of Modern Astronomy
Chapter 4 Light and the Electromagnetic Spectrum
Chapter 5 Telescopes: Windows to the Universe
Chapter 6 The Earth-Moon System
Chapter 7 A Planetary Overview
Chapter 8 Terrestrial Planets
Chapter 9 The Jovian Planets
Chapter 10 Dwarf Planets and Solar System Debris
Chapter 11 The Sun
Chapter 12 Measuring the Properties of Stars
Chapter 13 Interstellar Matter and Star Formation
Chapter 14 The Lives and Deaths of Low-Mass Stars
Chapter 15 The Deaths of Massive Stars
Chapter 16 The Milky Way Galaxy
Chapter 17 A Diversity of Galaxies
Chapter 18 Cosmology: The Nature of the Universe
Chapter 19 The Quest for Extraterrestrial Intelligence