Every New Copy of Precalculus: A Functional Approach to Graphing and Problem Solving Includes Access to the Student Companion Website!
Precalculus: A Functional Approach to Graphing and Problem Solving prepares students for the concepts and applications they will encounter in future calculus courses. In far too many texts, process is stressed over insight and understanding, and students move on to calculus ill equipped to think conceptually about its essential ideas. This text provides sound development of the important mathematical underpinnings of calculus, stimulating problems and exercises, and a well-developed, engaging pedagogy. Students will leave with a clear understanding of what lies ahead in their future calculus courses. Instructors will find that Smith's straightforward, student-friendly presentation provides exactly what they have been looking for in a text!
Features & Benefits
- Extremely student friendly with strong pedagogical elements.
- Definitions, procedures, and properties are enclosed in color-coded boxes.
- Street sign and warning sign icons point out common mistakes and pitfalls.
- What is Wrong? problems help students see common mistakes and think critically.
- Modeling Application problems are found throughout the text to teach the modeling process.
- Problems From Calculus are found throughout the book and introduce students to problems they may find in their future calculus courses
- Available with WebAssign Online Homework and Grading System.
This text is intended for an undergraduate college level precalculus course and helps students master the important concepts they will need to move on to college level calculus.
Chapter 1 Algebraic and Geometrical Foundations
Chapter 2 Functions with Problem Solving
Chapter 3 Polynomial Functions
Chapter 4 Additional Functions
Chapter 5 Trigonometric Functions
Chapter 6 Trigonometric Equations and Identities
Chapter 7 Analytic Geometry
Chapter 8 Sequences, Systems, and Matricies
Chapter 9 Vectors and Solid Analytic Geometry