Intravenous Therapy for Prehospital Providers is the only textbook written specifically to teach prehospital personnel about the complex subject of IV therapy.
Proficiency in IV therapy technique is important for most procedures required in advanced life support. Fully revised and updated, the Second Edition includes new content and features.
Second Edition content includes:
- Revised section on legal issues, including explanations of both criminal and civil law
- New section on scope of practice
- New section on disease processes
- Enhanced information regarding protection from communicable disease
- Additional information on acid-base balance, IV drip rates, and drug calculations
- Practical tips for starting pediatric IVs
- Learning Objectives outline the goals for each chapter.
- Key terms are bolded and defined within the text.
- Multiple-choice Test Your Knowledge questions are included in each chapter. These questions relate to the learning objectives and answers are provided.
- Exceeds intravenous therapy requirements set forth in the National EMS Education Standards Scope of Practice document.
- Suitable for primary EMS education, EMS continuing education, and individual professional development.
Intravenous Therapy for Prehospital Providers can be used in a stand-alone IV therapy training course, or as a supplement in a core training program to provide additional coverage on IV therapy.
Chapter 1 Introduction to IV Therapy: Roles, Responsibilities, and Legal Issues
Chapter 2 Infection Control
Chapter 3 Basic Cell Physiology
Chapter 4 Principles of Fluid Balance
Chapter 5 Causes and Treatment of Shock
Chapter 6 Altered Level of Consciousness
Chapter 7 IV Techniques and Administration
Chapter 8 Age-Specific Considerations
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) provides education and practice management services for orthopaedic surgeons and allied health professionals. The AAOS also serves as an advocate for improved patient care and informs the public about the science of orthopaedics. Founded at Northwestern University in 1933, the not-for-profit AAOS has grown from a small organization serving less than 500 members to the world's largest medical association of musculoskeletal specialists. The AAOS now serves about 36,000 members internationally.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781449641887
- ISBN-13: 9781449642211
- ISBN-13: 9781284042559
Mike Kennamer, EdD, NREMT-P-Director, Office of Workforce Development at Northeast Alabama Community College, Rainsville, Alabama, President/CEO, Kennamer Media Group, Inc., Henagar, Alabama
Mike Kennamer has authored a number of books, instructional videos, and web content for the fire, EMS, and allied health fields. A former EMS instructor and program director, Dr. Kennamer is director of workforce development at Northeast Alabama Community College where he serves as instructional officer for career and technical programs. He is also the President and CEO of Kennamer Media Group, Inc., a company that provides quality writing and photography services.