For additional information, listen to a new podcast with author Dan Hartl!
Save time preparing and managing your Genetics course with Navigate Genetics - Includes complete eBook! Learn how
Thoroughly revised and updated with the latest data from this every changing field, the Eighth Edition of Genetics: Analysis of Genes and Genomes provides a clear, balanced, and comprehensive introduction to genetics and genomics at the college level. Expanding upon the key elements that have made this text a success, Hartl has included updates throughout, as well as a new chapter dedicated to genetic evolution. He continues to treat transmission genetics, molecular genetics, and evolutionary genetics as fully integrated subjects and provide students with an unprecedented understanding of the basic process of gene transmission, mutation, expression, and regulation. New chapter openers include a new section highlighting scientific competencies, while end-of-chapter Guide to Problem-Solving sections demonstrate the concepts needed to efficiently solve problems and understand the reasoning behind the correct answer.
The Student Companion Website includes:
- Interactive Flashcards
- Interactive Glossary
- Crossword Puzzles
- Research & Reference Links
Features & Benefits
- Updated throughout with the latest data in this fast-paced field.
- Scientific Competencies added to to begining of each chapter.
- Includes a new chapter on Genetic Evolution
- Includes new problem sets in the accompanying ancillary material
- Includes new section, Hotspots of Recombination, in Chapter 6.
- Includes new section, Telomere Length Limits and Number of Cell Doublings, in Chapter 7.
- A new section, CNV with Reciprocal Risks of Autism and Schizophrenia, has been added to Chapter 8.
- A new section, Translation Proofreading and Premature Termination, has been added to Chapter 10.
- Includes three new sections; Stochastic Noise in Gene Expression, Stochastic Noise in Lac Expression, and Long Noncoding RNA (IncRNA), in Chapter 11.
Designed for undergraduate genetics courses, including:
- Principles of Genetics
- Introduction to Genetics and Genomics
- The text's emphasis on molecular genetics also makes it suitable for some undergraduate molecular biology courses.
Chapter 1 Genes, Genomes, and Genetic Analysis
Chapter 2 DNA Structure and Genetic Variation
Chapter 3 Transmission Genetics: The Principle of Segregation
Chapter 4 Chromosomes and Sex-Chromosome Inheritance
Chapter 5 Genetic Linkage and Chromosome Mapping
Chapter 6 Molecular Biology of DNA Replication and Recombination
Chapter 7 Molecular Organization of Chromosomes
Chapter 8 Human Karyotypes and Chromosome Behavior
Chapter 9 Genetics of Bacteria and Their Viruses
Chapter 10 Molecular Biology of Gene Expression
Chapter 11 Molecular Mechanisms of Gene Regulation
Chapter 12 Genomics, Proteomics, and Transgenics
Chapter 13 Genetic Control of Development
Chapter 14 Molecular Mechanisms of Mutation and DNA Repair
Chapter 15 Molecular Genetics of the Cell Cycle and Cancer
Chapter 16 Mitochondrial DNA and Extranuclear Inheritance
Chapter 17 Molecular Evolution and Population Genetics
Chapter 18 The Genetic Basis of Complex Traits
Chapter 19 Human Evolutionary Genetics