Available with WebAssign Online Homework and Grading System -- Click HERE to view a sample assignment!
Essentials of Discrete Mathematics, Second Edition is the ideal text for a one-term discrete mathematics course to serve computer science majors as well as students from a wide range of other disciplines. It introduces students to the mathematical way of thinking, and also to many important modern applications. The material is organized around five types of thinking: logical, relational, recursive, quantitative, and analytical. This presentation results in a coherent outline that steadily builds upon mathematical sophistication. Graphs are introduced early and referred to throughout the text, providing a richer context for examples and applications. Students will encounter algorithms near the end of the text, after they have acquired the skills and experience needed to analyze them. The final chapter contains in-depth case studies from a variety of fields, including biology, sociology, linguistics, economics, and music. Clear and concise, Essentials of Discrete Mathematics presents a unified and complete picture of discrete mathematics that instructors can cover in a single semester.
Features & Benefits
- One-term focus.
- Early introduction to graph theory.
- A range of exercises designed to help students think mathematically, with over 100 new exercises.
- Careful attention to mathematical logic and proof techniques.
- Coverage of algorithms appropriate for computer science majors, as well as students with no previous programming experience.
- Completely revised and expanded solutions at the end of the text.
- A wealth of applications, including many applications from areas beyond mathematics and computer science.
- Available with WebAssign Online Homework and Grading System
Written for the one-term, undergraduate course in discrete mathematics
Chapter 1 Logical Thinking
Chapter 2 Relational Thinking
Chapter 3 Recursive Thinking
Chapter 4 Quantitative Thinking
Chapter 5 Analytical Thinking
Chapter 6 Thinking Through Applications
David J. Hunter, PhD-Westmont College
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284056242