Building off the success of Dennis G. Zill and Jacqueline M. Dewar's popular Essentials version, the new Sixth Edition of Precalculus with Calculus Previews continues to include all of the outstanding features and learning tools found in the original text while incorporating additional topics of coverage that some courses may require. With a continued effort to keep the text complete, yet concise, the authors have expanded the number of chapters making the text a clear choice for many mainstream courses. Additional material includes rotation of conics in the rectangular coordinate system, sequences and series, mathematical induction, the Binomial Theorem, systems of equations, partial fractions, systems of inequalities, a brief introduction to counting and probability, and a full discussion of complex numbers.
This student-friendly, full-color text offers numerous exercise sets and examples to aid in students' learning and understanding, and graphs and figures throughout serve to better illuminate key concepts. The exercise sets include engaging problems that focus on algebra, graphing, and function theory, the subtext of so many calculus problems. The authors are careful to use the terminology of calculus in an informal and comprehensible way to facilitate the student's successful transition into future calculus courses.
Features & Benefits
New to the Sixth Edition:
- Increased number of student aids throughout the text including examples, figures, marginal annotations, in-example guideline annotations, and Notes from the Classroom
- Many sections have been rewritten to increase clarity and improve student understanding
- Increased number of Calculator/Computer Problems and For Discussion Problems throughout the exercise sets
- An expanded Final Examination consists of fill-in-the-blank questions, true/false questions, and review exercises
- New section on Functions Defined Implicitly (Section 2.7)
- Updated and expanded WebAssign Online Homework and Grading System
- Translating Words into Functions section illustrates how to translate a verbal description into a symbolic representation of a function and demonstrates these translations with actual calculus problems.
- Chapter Review Exercises include problems that focus on algebra, graphing and function theory, the sub-text of so many calculus problems. Review questions include conceptual fill-in-the-blank and true-false questions, as well as numerous thought-provoking exercises.
- The Calculus Preview found at the end of each chapter offers students a glimpse of a single calculus concept along with the algebraic, logarithmic, and trigonometric manipulations that are necessary for the successful completion of typical problems related to that concept.
Precalculus with Calculus Previews, Sixth Edition is intended for a one-term college level precalculus course and helps students master the important concepts they will need to move on to college level calculus (i.e. functions, logarithms and trigonometry).
Chapter 1 Inequalities, Equations, and Graphs
Chapter 2 Functions
Chapter 3 Polynomial and Rational Functions
Chapter 4 Trigonometric Functions
Chapter 5 Triangle Trigonometry
Chapter 6 Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Chapter 7 Conic Sections
Chapter 8 Polar Coordinates
Chapter 9 Systems of Equations and Inequalities
Chapter 10 Sequences and Series
Appendix A Complex Numbers
Appendix B Additional Tests for Zeros of a Polynomial Function
Appendix C Formulas From Geometry
Answers to Selected Odd-Numbered Problems
Dennis G. Zill-Loyola Marymount University
Dennis Zill received a PhD in Applied Mathematics from Iowa State University, and is a former professor of Mathematics at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, Loras College in Iowa, and California Polytechnic State University. He is also the former chair of the Mathematics department at Loyola Marymount University, where he currently holds a rank as Professor Emeritus of Mathematics. Zill holds interests in astronomy, modern literature, music, golf, and good wine, while his research interests include Special Functions, Differential Equations, Integral Transformations, and Complex Analysis.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284106312
- ISBN-13: 9781284105902
- ISBN-13: 9781284321111
Jacqueline M. Dewar-Loyola Marymount University
Jacqueline Dewar - In her 30-year teaching career at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, California, Jackie Dewar has taught a wide variety of courses ranging from intermediate algebra and precalculus to algebraic topology and been very active in curriculum development. She has developed or co-developed a hands-on lab for future elementary teachers, a unique math/science core course entitled Mathematics: Contributions by Women, a community-building course for freshman math majors that focuses on problem solving and mathematical communication, and a quantitative literacy course that engages students in campus or local community issues.
From 1995-2001 she worked with a team of faculty from ten institutions of higher education in the Los Angeles Collaborative for Teacher Excellence (http://www.lacteonline.org), a $5,500,000 NSF-funded initiative with the goal of improving K-12 teacher preparation programs in science and mathematics. She has served as department chair (1983-86, 2005-6) and was recently appointed the Director of Loyola Marymount University’s Center for Teaching Excellence.
In 2003, she was selected as one of 26 scholars by the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). She has worked to expand the international SoTL movement in the mathematics community by co-organizing minicourses (2006, 2007) and a contributed paper session (2007) at the national meeting of the Mathematical Association of America. In 2006, she received the Mathematical Association of America’s Deborah and Franklin Tepper Haimo Award for Distinguished College or University Teaching. She has written book reviews for Teaching Children Mathematics, and published articles in The Arithmetic Teacher, College Mathematics Journal, Collegiate Microcomputer, Journal of Mathematics and Science: Collaborative Explorations, Mathematics and Computer Education, and National Teaching and Learning Forum.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284079975
- ISBN-13: 9781284056327
- ISBN-13: 9781449606022