Listen to a PODCAST with lead author, Sharon Buchbinder.
Instructor Resources: Transition Guide, PowerPoint Slides, Case Studies, TestBank, Traditional Syllabus, an 8-week online course Syllabus, and additional instructor resources.
Introduction to Health Care Management is a concise, reader-friendly, introductory healthcare management book that covers a wide variety of healthcare settings, from hospitals to nursing homes and clinics. Filled with examples to engage the reader’s imagination, the important issues in healthcare management, such as ethics, cost management, strategic planning and marketing, information technology, and human resources, are all thoroughly covered.
Guidelines and rubrics along with numerous case studies make this text both student-friendly and teacher friendly. It is the perfect resource for students of healthcare management, nursing, allied health, business administration, pharmacy, occupational therapy, public administration, and public health.
- Chapters contributed by real experts using an active voice to grab the reader’s attention.
- Learning objectives and discussion questions in each chapter.
- Instructors’ resources online for each chapter, including PowerPoints, Test Bank, and Sample Syllabus.
- Case studies in a wide variety of settings, in an assortment of healthcare management topics.
- A case study guide, with rubrics for evaluation of student performance, enabling instructors at every level of experience to hit the ground running on that first day of class.
New to the Second Edition:
- A new introductory chapter: “Understanding Health Care Management”
- A new chapter on Health Care Marketing
- A new discussion of healthcare planning and examples of planning models
- New contributing authors – experts in their fields
- New section on emotional intelligence
- Over seven new case studies
- Improved case study instructions
- New rubrics
Online resources now include:
- Syllabus for 8-week online course
- Key discussion points for each case study
- Role play, simulation, and scripts for students
- Online video references
PRAISE for the First Edition:
"Drs. Buchbinder and Shanks have done a masterful job in selecting topics and authors and putting them together in a meaningful and coherent manner. Each chapter of the book is designed to give the student the core content that must become part of the repertoire of each and every healthcare manager, whether entry level or senior executive. Each of the chapters and accompanying cases serve to bring to life what it means to be a truly competent healthcare manager.”
—Leonard H. Friedman, PhD, MPA, MPH, Professor, Dept of Health Services Management and Leadership, and Director of the Master of Health Services Administration program, George Washington University, School of Public Health and Health Services
“I am very happy with Health Care Management and will be adopting it for a new course that I will be teaching. This is probably the best management text I have seen so far. I was thrilled to receive it.”
—Sally K. Fauchald, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor of Nursing, The College of St. Scholastica
“A solid text that covers a wide range of management topics.”
—Michael H. Sullivan, Director HCA Program, Methodist University, Fayetteville, North Carolina