With the release of the Second Edition, Jones and Bartlett Learning, the National Fire Protection Association®, and the International Association of Fire Chiefs have joined forces to raise the bar for the fire service once again.
Safety Is Fundamentals!
The Second Edition features a laser-like focus on fire fighter injury prevention, including a dedicated chapter on safety. Reducing fire fighter injuries and deaths requires the dedicated efforts of every fire fighter, of every fire department, and of the entire fire community working together. It is with this goal in mind that we have integrated the 16 Fire Fighter Life Safety Initiatives developed by the National Fallen Fire Fighter Foundation into Chapter 2, Fire Fighter Safety. In most of the chapters, actual National Fire Fighter Near-Miss Reporting System cases are discussed to drive home important points about safety and the lessons learned from those real-life incidents. It is our profound hope that this textbook will contribute to the goal of reducing line-of-duty deaths by 25 percent in the next 5 years.
Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Second Edition thoroughly supports instructors and prepares students for the job. This one-volume text meets and exceeds the Fire Fighter I and II professional qualifications levels as outlined in the 2008 edition of NFPA 1001, Standard for Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications. It also covers all of the Job Performance Requirements (JPRs) listed in the 2008 edition of NFPA 472, Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents, at the awareness and operations levels, including Section 6.2, Mission-Specific Competencies: Personal Protective Equipment and Section 6.6, Mission-Specific Competencies: Product Control.
Listen to a Podcast with Fundamentals of Fire Fighter Skills, Second Edition editor Dave Schottke to learn more about this training program!
Dave discusses fire fighter safety, the dangers of lightweight building construction materials, fire scene rehab, and other areas of emphasis within the Second Edition. Listen now.
Features & Benefits
The Second Edition is highly-developed and is loaded with features, including:
- NFPA Standards and Objectives - Each chapter identifies the appropriate NFPA standards, cognitive objectives, and skills objectives for the chapter.
- You are the Fire Fighter - Each chapter opens with a case study that will stimulate classroom discussion, capture students' attention, and provides an overview of the chapter. Additional case studies and challenging questions are included in the end-of-chapter Wrap-Up.
- Near Miss Reports- This feature appears throughout the text where appropriate and uses real incident data to showcase lessons learned in order to keep fire fighters safe.
- 16 Life Safety Initiatives- Derived from the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation’s “Everyone Goes Home” program, the 16 Life Safety Initiatives are the foundation of Chapter 2: Fire Fighter Safety.
- Voices of Experience - Students will benefit from voices of experience; masters of the trade provide expert fire fighter advice.
- Figures and Tables - Figures and tables provide both clarity and interest, and calls students' attention to important concepts presented in the chapter.
- Skill Drills - Skill Drills provide written step-by-step explanations and visual summaries of important skills and procedures. Skill Drills are now identified as Fire Fighter I or II level skills with corresponding NFPA objectives referenced.
- Boxed features including Fire Marks, Safety Tips, and Fire Fighter Tips.
- End-of-chapter “Wrap-Up” resources including Chief Concepts and Hot Terms.
International Association of Fire Chiefs
Established in 1873, the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) is a powerful, professional membership organization of more than 12,600 chief fire and emergency officers. The mission of the IAFC is to provide leadership to career and volunteer chiefs, chief fire officers, and managers of emergency service organizations throughout the international community through vision, information, education, services, and representation to enhance their professionalism and capabilities. Members of the IAFC are the world’s leading experts in fire fighting, emergency medical services, terrorism response, hazardous materials spills, natural disasters, search and rescue, and public safety legislation.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284131574
- ISBN-13: 9781284038422
- ISBN-13: 9781284131512
National Fire Protection Association
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has been a worldwide leader in providing fire, building, electrical, and life safety to the public since 1896. The mission of the international nonprofit organization is to reduce the worldwide burden for fire and other hazards on the quality of life by providing and advocating scientifically-based consensus codes and standards, research, training, and education. Developer of the National Electrical Code®, and 300 other codes and standards through a full, open-consensus process, NFPA also produces educational curricula, including the Risk Watch® community-based injury prevention curriculum and the Learn Not to Burn® fire safety curriculum. NFPA headquarters is in Quincy, Massachusetts.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781449690786
- ISBN-13: 9781284098228
- ISBN-13: 9781284348248