Appropriate for the traditional three-term college calculus course, Calculus: Early Transcendentals, Fourth Edition provides the student-friendly presentation and robust examples and problem sets for which Dennis G. Zill is known. This outstanding revision incorporates all of the exceptional learning tools that have made Zill's texts a resounding success. He carefully blends the theory and application of important concepts while offering modern applications and problem-solving skills.
Click here to learn more about WebAssign and view a sample assignment.
Features & Benefits
- Available with WebAssign. View sample assignment here!
- Includes a balance of skill and concepts in the exercises that are at a graded level of difficulty.
- Each exercise set is clearly partitioned into groups of problems using headings such as Fundamentals, Applications, Mathematical Models, Projects, Calculator/CAS Problems, etc
- Each chapter opens with its own table of contents and an introduction to the material covered in the chapter.
- The text ends with Resource Pages, which is a compact review of basic concepts from algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. Many of the topics cover in the Resources Page are discussed in greater depth in the Student Resources Guide.
- The Test Yourself section is a self-test consisting of 56 questions on four broad areas of precalculus, and encourages students to review the more essential prerequisite subjects that are used throughout the text.
- Notes from the Classroom sections are informal discussions that are aimed at the student and discuss common algebraic, procedural, and notational errors, as well as provide advice and questions asking students to think about and extend upon the ideas just presented.
- Instructor's resources include a complete solutions manual and test items. Introduces calculus concepts and topics in a clear concise manner for maximum student retention.
- Straightforward exposition at a level accessible to today’s college students.
- Includes examples and applications ideal for science and engineering students.
- Concise reasoning behind every calculus concept is presented
This text is intended for the 3-term calculus sequence offered at most colleges and universities.
2 Limit of a Function
3 The Derivative
4 Applications of the Derivative
6 Applications of the Integral
7 Techniques of Integration
8 First-Order Differential Equations
9 Sequences and Series
10 Conics and Polar Coordinates
11 Vectors and 3-Space
12 Vector-Valued Functions
13 Partial Derivatives
14 Multiple Integrals
15 Vector Integral Calculus
16 Higher-Order Differential Equations
Dennis G. Zill-Loyola Marymount University
Dennis Zill received a PhD in Applied Mathematics from Iowa State University, and is a former professor of Mathematics at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, Loras College in Iowa, and California Polytechnic State University. He is also the former chair of the Mathematics department at Loyola Marymount University, where he currently holds a rank as Professor Emeritus of Mathematics. Zill holds interests in astronomy, modern literature, music, golf, and good wine, while his research interests include Special Functions, Differential Equations, Integral Transformations, and Complex Analysis.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284105902
- ISBN-13: 9781284106312
- ISBN-13: 9781284321111
Warren S. Wright-Loyola Marymount University
Warren S. Wright received his M.A. in mathematics from the University of Southern California and is currently professor of mathematics at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. Wright has previously coauthored two textbooks with Dennis Zill and has authored numerous solutions manuals to accompany Zill's texts.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781284021448
- ISBN-13: 9781284020991
- ISBN-13: 9781449691585