Each new print copy includes Navigate 2 Advantage Access that unlocks a comprehensive and interactive eBook, student practice activities and assessments, a full suite of instructor resources, and learning analytics reporting tools.
Community Nutrition: Planning Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Third Edition provides students with the knowledge, skills, tools, and evidence-based approaches they need to assess, implement, and evaluate community-based nutrition interventions that promote health and prevent diseases.
In Part I, “Overview of the Public Health Nutrition Landscape,” the text defines the parameters of community nutrition, explains community-based nutrition screening and assessment, and delves into public policy and food assistance programs. Part II, “Nutrition Interventions for Vulnerable Populations,” addresses how the community nutritionist can engage individuals across the life cycle. Part III, “Delivering Successful Nutrition Services,” focuses on the skills and tools community nutritionists need to design effective nutrition and health promotion programs.
Features & Benefits
- Learning Objectives emphasize key concepts to help students focus on what they need to learn.
- Chapter Outlines provide the student with a roadmap of topics that will be discussed in the chapter.
- Successful Intervention Strategies boxes highlight effective intervention programs and provide examples of best research-based practices for each chapter.
- Think About It boxes provide thought provoking questions and/or a scenarios that emphasize important concepts in each chapter.
- Chapter Summaries highlight important concepts from each chapter.
- Critical Thinking Activities provide students with the opportunity to understand and evaluate health information and then apply the concepts in the community settings. Students will develop skills in important cognitive functions and learn a variety of cognitive skills such as synthesizing, analyzing, applying, and evaluating information.
- Case Studies allow students to apply what they have learned in each chapter. Each case study contains Nutrition Care Process chart that is designed to inspire students to become more involved in working on the case study.
Part 1 Overview of the Public Health Nutrition Landscape
Chapter 1 Community Nutrition and Public Health
Chapter 2 Nutrition Screening and Assessment
Chapter 3 Nutritional Epidemiology and Research Methods
Chapter 4 U.S. Nutrition Monitoring and Food Assistance Programs
Chapter 5 Cultural Influences and Public Health Nutrition
Chapter 6 Public Policy and Nutrition
Chapter 7 Public Health Nutrition: An International Perspective
Part 2 Nutrition Interventions for Vulnerable Populations
Chapter 8 Nutrition During Pregnancy and Infancy
Chapter 9 Nutrition in Childhood and Adolescence
Chapter 10 Adulthood: Special Health Issues
Chapter 11 Promoting Health and Preventing Disease in Older Persons
Part 3 Delivering Successful Nutrition Services
Chapter 12 Principles of Planning Effective Community Nutrition Programs
Chapter 13 Theories and Models for Health Promotion and Changing Nutrition Behavior
Chapter 14 Acquiring Grantsmanship Skills
Chapter 15 Ethics and Nutrition Practice
Chapter 16 Principles of Nutrition Education
Chapter 17 Marketing Nutrition Programs and the Role of Food Industry in Food Choice
Chapter 18 Private and Government Healthcare Systems
Nweze Nnakwe, PhD, RD, LD-Illinois State University
Nweze Nnakwe received her Ph.D in metabolic nutrition from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. She is a full Professor of nutrition at Illinois State University and an adjunct Professor at Illinois Wesleyan University School of Nursing and Mennonite College of Nursing, teaching nutrition courses for over 20 years. She has taught several nutrition courses including Advanced Nutrition, Community Nutrition, Food Science, and Medical Nutrition Therapy. She is a full member of the Graduate Faculty. She is a registered and licensed dietitian, and Certified in American Family & Consumer Sciences. She is also a Women’s Health Issues Educator. She has appeared on CNN Headline News-local edition to discuss women’s health Issues.
Additional Titles by this Author
- ISBN-13: 9781449652937
- ISBN-13: 9781449652944