Providing supplemental oxygen to those that need it is an essential element of emergency care. Oxygen Administration is designed to provide an understanding of how to safely handle and administer oxygen in various settings. Key topics discussed in the Oxygen Administration course include:
- The components that make up a supplemental oxygen system.
- The various types of supplemental oxygen devices.
- Important safety, storage, service, and maintenance steps regarding the use of supplemental oxygen systems.
- The importance of supplemental oxygen in the care of victims of sudden illness or injury.
- Using supplemental oxygen equipment when providing care for a breathing or nonbreathing victim.
The text features:
- Current information presented in a clear and straightforward format.
- Skill Drills that offer step-by-step explanations and visual summaries of important skills.
- Flowcharts to reinforce the decision-making process and appropriate procedures.
- Decision Tables that provide a concise summary of what signs care providers should look for and what treatment steps they should take.
Oxygen Administration is appropriate for individuals working towards SCUBA certification, who need to supplement first aid or CPR training with the ability to safely administer oxygen, or anybody else who will be using portable oxygen in industrial or medical settings.
José V. Salazar, MPH, NREMT-P